Sunday, January 22, 2012

Smart Eats- Skinny Snickerdoodles

Just because you are eating smart doesn't mean you can't enjoy a delicious cookie every once in a while. I was in a super snacking mood but I didn't want to ruin the good eating I've been striving for this month. On Pinterest I found this recipe for Skinny Whole Wheat Snickerdoodles from Skinnytaste.com (my new favorite site!). These cookies are so amazingly delicious and chewy plus they're only 1 point each. Here's the recipe:
Recipe:
1 3/4 C Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 C sugar
1/4 C butter, softened
1 Tbl light agave
1 tsp vanilla
1 Egg
3 Tbl sugar
1 Tbl cinnamon

Preheat over to 375 degrees.
In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar together. Set aside.


In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter. Add the agave, vanilla and egg.
Slowly add the flour mixture and mix. The dough will seem kinda dry which is okay. Throw the dough into the refrigerator for ten minutes.

With moist hands roll the dough into 1" balls. Toss in the cinnamon/ sugar mixture and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 5-7 minutes. The cookies will be soft which is perfect.
Let the cookie cool on the pan after you take them out from the oven.

You know I'm a HUGE snickerdoodle fan and it almost seemed crazy that I was making them healthier but it worked. These are really good! I can't get over how much I love them. I will always be a sucker for the original recipe but when eating healthy, you will always find these in our cookie jar:-)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

These look amazing! Is there something you can sub for the cream of tartar? I don't have any and would hate to buy it just for one recipe :) Thanks!

B&K said...

Hi Shannon! Hmmm...I'm not aware of a substitute for cream of tartar. I researched online and found this article- http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/CreamTartar.htm I guess the best substitute would be baking powder but you miss out a little on the texture and taste. Let me know if you find a better substitute, I'm really interested to hear about it. I would go grab a jar of cream of tartar from the store- it's worth the trip and you can always use it in your cupboard:-)